+ As Digital Program Director for Radio One, Layla manages communications and strategies between the Radio and Interactive divisions. She is responsible for translating and managing campaigns, strategy and content development across multiple platforms within a network of 42 radio stations and their digital extensions. Nielsen is a graduate of Howard University with a Bachelor’s in Communications. She began her career in the television industry with BET Networks and freelancing on political talk and entertainment shows in the DC metropolitan area. She was then hired to manage BET.com’s online community applications and served as the lead producer for BET Networks shows. There is where her interest in the digital industry began and developed into a career specialty. Currently, Nielsen is married with two daughters and resides in Washington, DC, where she is pursuing a Master’s of PR and Corporate Communications at Georgetown University.
2. Before I worked in Radio: I worked for BET.com as the Online Community Manager
3. Looking forward to…graduating from Georgetown University with my Master’s degree in 2014
4. Biggest pet peeve: seeing men/boys wearing extremely baggy jeans that show their underwear.
5. Just finished reading… “Rescue” by Anita Shreve
6. Inspiration: My mother and aunt (they are twins, I literally have 2 mothers). They came to this country with only $200 (U.S. Dollars) and paved a way for my entire family and me.
7. The title of my memoir would be… “Two feet and Four Hands”
8. Most Unique item I own: A hand made Mexican Mayan calendar
9. I own a lot of…fingernail polish. I think it’s important for a woman’s’ hands to be presentable and appropriate for the setting. It’s the “old lady” in me.
10. Habit I want to break: being late